Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How to Not Be "Just a Drummer"

How to Not Be "Just a Drummer"

by Daniel N. Brown

How can you expand your opportunities to be the best drummer
you can be? Most drummers will say by practicing... and by
practicing a lot.
While it is true that practice is essential, the key to
expanding your capabilities is by developing your
versatility. It's all about using the skills that you
already possess and channeling them towards related
fields.

Since your most basic skill is playing the drums you will
find that there are other instruments that you can easily
adapt your skill to because you already possess musical
ability. For example, instead of limiting yourself to just
the drums, why not expand your talents to include the
guitar, bass, or keyboard?

Why would you want to do this? Because you can increase your
musical scope and be able to come to a greater understanding
of music for one reason. Another reason is to develop
greater communication among your band mates.

You may think you may not have the time to become an
excellent guitarist, or anything else, but that's not true.
It's not true because you don't have to become excellent at
anything else. You just need to develop a little
understanding, that's all.

In my earlier days of drumming I was very frustrated with my
band mates. I was full of ideas concerning the structure of
our music, but I just couldn't get them across. I didn't
"know" their instrument, or the language they used for their
particular instrument in order to get my ideas understood.

If I had taken the time back then to get a little
understanding of the instruments they were playing I could
have eliminated quite a bit of my frustrations. I may have
been able to deliver my ideas and had them implemented
without any problem, therefore, improving our songs.

In my opinion it is very important to get a little
acquainted with other instruments in order to be the best
drummer you can be. Others may disagree! But, that's okay,
it's just my opinion.

There is an old joke that goes like this...

Question: "What do you call someone who travels around
with musicians?"

Answer: "A drummer!"

Ha! Ha! Ha! Very funny! I hate that joke, but unfortunately,
for the most part, it's true.

But, this doesn't have to be you. It's your choice, are you
going to be "just a drummer" or a quality musician?

An argument could be made that a drummer should solely
focus on just being that... a drummer. I agree completely! I
believe part of focusing on being a great drummer is
expanding his or her knowledge of music, not just their
"playing" of the drums.

I could go on and on about how you, as a drummer, can
become more versatile. You must simply start with your most
basic skill, which is playing the drums, and then expand on it by
getting a little acquainted with some other musical
instruments. This is an excellent way of ensuring that you
develop your musicianship to it's fullest potential.

The world is a very competitive place and we must continue
to be competitive. We don't want to put all our eggs in one
basket so take a little time to get to know some other
instruments.

If we take our drumming skills and add some variety to it
like learning a little guitar, bass, or keyboard we will be
surprised at how much more rounded we will become and
not be classified as "just a drummer."

No comments:

Post a Comment

17 Agustus

  Empat ratus lima puluh tahun masa kolonisasi Empat setengah tahun dalam siksa dan penuh derita Penuh pergolakan demi kedaulatan negeri Akh...